5 social media agency myths debunked
Have you been wondering if you need to hire a social media agency but are unsure about what they do or what they actually are? You’re not alone. There are a lot of misconceptions out there, and it can be tough to sort the fact from the fiction. To help you out, we’ve compiled a list of five common myths about social media agencies – and the truth behind them.
1. Social media agencies are just for big businesses
One of the biggest misconceptions about social media agencies is that they’re only for big brands. This isn’t true at all. Social media agencies can be an excellent option for businesses of all sizes. Hiring a social media agency can be equally beneficial for start-ups that don’t have the internal resources to handle their social media. In fact, partnering with an agency can be a great leveller, allowing small businesses to compete with bigger, more prominent brands on a more equal footing.
If you’re a small or medium-sized business, working with the right social media agency will help you:
- Save time – If you’re managing your social media accounts yourself, you know how tedious and time-consuming it can be. A good social media agency can take care of the day-to-day tasks whilst staying on top of the constant changes and updates of individual social platforms. Giving you back more of your precious time so you can focus on other aspects of growing your business.
- Maximise your marketing budget – Are you working with a limited budget? A good social media agency will help you get the most bang for your buck by using its expertise to maximise your social accounts and expand your customer base. Whether through organic methods, such as creating engaging content and building a following, or paid advertising, a good social media agency will help you develop an effective marketing strategy that fits your budget.
2. They’re all about creating organic social posts
While some social media agencies focus on creating organic posts alone, many agencies can do more for your business. Aside from sharing your best content and allowing you to connect with people virtually, an effective social media agency can take your digital a-game to the next level by driving conversions, sales, and leads.
Suppose you run an e-commerce business. A social media agency can help you integrate your ecom solution to Facebook’s Family of apps like Facebook Shop, Marketplace and Instagram Shopping. Allowing your customers to browse, explore and purchase your products directly on Facebook and Instagram without leaving the platforms.
Many social media agencies also offer other services like:
- Audience research and strategy development
- Social media advertising
- Campaign planning and execution
- Data analysis and reporting
3. All social media agencies only focus on reach and impressions
It’s not that reach and impressions aren’t necessary. You can’t just ignore these metrics. But while it’s beneficial to monitor how your audience is engaging with your social media content, it’s not the only point to social media marketing. You can go beyond these two metrics and examine the actions your audience takes once they reach your website.
With the help of a data-driven social media agency, you can identify:
- How much traffic social media channels drive to your website
- How many leads social media generate
- And how many of those leads become your customers
From there, they can even help you calculate your average cost per lead and cost per acquisition. So you can see the bigger, more accurate picture of where you’re at in terms of social media presence, and how much social media truly contributes to your bottom line.
4. Social media agencies are a “set it and forget it” solution
Firstly, a good social media agency does not set and forget campaigns. Instead, they work with you to ensure your campaigns are tweaked, optimised and improved over time. It’s easy to get caught up in your own echo chamber, but a good social media agency will be honest with you about what is and isn’t working. They can help you better understand your campaigns so you can adjust your strategy accordingly and connect with your target audiences online.
Social media is an ever-changing landscape, and there are always new opportunities to explore. A good agency will constantly test and try new things to see what works best for its clients. Additionally, working with an agency means you should also be prepared to regularly change and adapt your social media strategies.
5. They offer a one-size-fits-all approach to social media
If a social media agency offers you a template strategy for handling social media, be wary. Each business is different, and so are its social media goals. An agency’s job is to understand your business, what you’re trying to achieve, and who your target audience is. Then develop a strategy that’s tailored to your specific needs.
Partnering with a good social media agency can greatly assist your business. They can help you strategise, create content, manage your online reputation, monitor your channels, generate quality leads and sales, provide analysis and reports, and even build meaningful relationships with your audience. But most importantly, they can be your sounding board and partner in achieving your organisation’s vision and mission.
Finding the right social media agency
Now that we’ve debunked the common misconceptions about social media agencies, you can decide if working with one is right for your business. With research, you can find an agency that fits your budget and objectives, and resonates with your organisation’s culture.
Here are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Social media is constantly evolving, so it’s essential to find an agency that keeps up with the latest trends and changes.
- Consider your goals for social media and what you hope to achieve.
- Finally, look at their customer success stories. What have they achieved for their clients, and what do their clients say about them?
By taking these steps, you can be sure to find the right partner to help you unlock the full potential of social media and take your business to the next level.