Why Do I Need A Copywriter?
A professional copywriter knows how to present your company in a sophisticated, upbeat, witty, irresistible way; they know how to persuade people of the merits of your product or service and how to entice customers to your digital doorstep.
What is copywriting?
Copywriting is the most crucial element in marketing and advertising. It is a call to action, it is the major tool in increasing brand awareness – copywriters can turn your company into a star performer. It is an art form.
The written content for promoting your brand is called copy.
Who is a copywriter?
These are a select band of people, men and women, around the world, whose skill it is to sell products and services in an informative and interesting way.
What does a copywriter do?
Copywriters carry out many roles, which include –
- Writing promotional content for their clients who have neither the time nor skill to do this themselves.
- Copywriters break down complicated business wording into easy to read text that everybody in the street would understand.
- Improve a company’s rank in Google by implementing their knowledge of SEO (Search Engine Optimisation).
- Create blog posts to promote a product or service.
- Write the content for email or printed newsletters.
- Manage a company’s social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Create billboards, brochures and newspaper advertisements.
- Research a group when targeting a specific market.
- Write scripts for television and radio commercials.
- Manage ad campaigns on Google Adwords, Facebook and others.
- Write content for press releases.
- Optimise websites, writing the web pages/landing pages.
- Come up with content for magazine editorials.
- Write transcripts and edits for interviews with people in the business.
Why do I need to have a copywriter?
A company that is just starting needs excellent web content to set its business apart from competitors and reach the intended audience, this is what copywriters do.
The copywriter is the interface between your business and the people that you want to add to your customer list.
- Professional copywriters capture the product precisely.
They have learned how to capture things perfectly and make them appealing to your audience while remaining on the topic of discussion. There are also industry-specific copywriters, who write expertly in different fields; for instance, medical copywriters who know the necessary technical language.
- Copywriters take care of grammar.
They are skilled enough to have perfect spelling, grammar and correct use of punctuation, they have the relevant software to check the accuracy of their work.
- Copywriters are very persuasive.
With business success in mind, a professional copywriter is essential to convince intended customers that your product is the best.
- Copywriters stay updated on what is going on in the world.
They can capture business trends and other hot topics on the internet, which helps to keep your website pertinent and interesting. So increasing the number of readers of your blog content.
- Copywriters can easily generate organic traffic.
They create content that generates more traffic by keeping the readers coming back for more. This process increases your sales.
- Copywriters keep the company social.
The copywriter creates a solid social media presence which leads to more interactions with clients and so to better marketing.
What happens when you hire a copywriter?
Once you hire a copywriter for the company you should have a meeting to give them an in-depth scope of the company. The copywriter will note all the important points to be used when writing the promotional content. The copywriter will also ask some questions. For instance –
- What part of the company do you want to highlight in the copy?
- Who is the target audience? Are they customers, investors or clients?
- What is the length of the text to be written?
- What is the ongoing plan for the company?
With the answers to their queries in hand, the copywriter would start work, coming back to you with interesting, informative words about your product or service.
Where are these copywriters found?
Most copywriters are usually employed in copywriting agencies, advertising agencies and public relations firms.
- In the advertising agencies, they work as a part of an innovative team in which they come together with the art directors. The copywriter makes a script for an advert while the art director is responsible for the visual design.
- Copywriting agencies usually work for large corporations and combine copywriting with a range of editorial and associated services.
Copywriters are employed to work in-house for big firms or retail chains that advertise frequently.
Other copywriters work from home as individual contractors doing freelance writing for different clients. Clients get in touch with them online through different sites or by searching for ‘freelancers’ or ‘copywriters’ online.
You could also search on Twitter for #copywriter!
There are also many specialist directories for copywriters to be found through Pro Copywriters Network, Creative Greenhouse, and others. All you need to do is search online. Google has it all.
Characteristics Of A Good Copywriter
An effective copywriter has some of the following traits –
- They create stunning leads for the required content.
- They approach a story from unusual angles to break a reader’s guard.
- They avoid jargon and speak in basic human terms.
- Write content that is straight to the point, keeping it short and precise.
- Stay informed, listen and are always curious.
- Have versatility of voice and purpose.
- Handle criticism professionally but are also self-assured.
- The copywriter recognises gaps and weaknesses in information.
- Know SEO and have perspective